I was trying to be patient this time around and wait to see if I would go into labor on my own. I only made it 4 days over the due date and then I decided I would be induced, mostly so that I would still have help when she was born and Julie was leaving on the 9th.
When I scheduled the induction my doctor told me the hospital would call me between 5 and 6 in the morning to let me know what time to be at the hospital. As I went to bed the night before I made sure my phone was next to the bed, but I didn't realize that it would be on Do Not Disturb until 7 am. We woke up to the boys getting up at about 6:45 and I immediately checked my phone and sure enough I had missed the phone call from the hospital. I called them back and they said to be there at 7:30. The boys were so excited when they woke up and were dancing around because they knew that was the day they would get a baby sister. Dave and I took our time getting ready and we finally made it to the hospital around 8 am. It took about an hour to get checked into a room. The hospital I delivered at delivers the most babies in the world! About an average of 70-100 babies/day. So needless to say, it is a busy women's center.
This is the last picture of me pregnant!
We met with the nurse to do the all the medical questions and such. My doctor came in just after 10 am and broke my water first and I immediately dialated a couple centimeters. She broke my water first in hopes that we wouldn't need to use very much pitocin. After that they started my pitocin at 10:30. It started out pretty slow. Dave and I were just hanging out chatting and watching HGTV. After an hour and a half or so I needed to turn off the TV and start to focus on the contractions. I was at about 5 centimeters when I needed to focus, then after an hour I had them check me and I was at a 7. At this point, the contractions were getting pretty tough and I thought I for sure had to be close. After 30 minutes, they checked me again. Still a 7! That's the worst news is to be at the same spot. I was struggling pretty good at this point and was about ready to give up. The nurse suggested getting a narcotic to take the edge off. I agreed and then she also suggested laying on my side with one leg propped up. After a couple contractions, I felt like dying and giving up, the nurse checked me one last time and I was 9 centimeters! Finally the end was in sight! She called in the midwife and lots of people starting coming in the room getting ready for delivery. Once the midwife was there, she said I could push. I started pushing and the nurse said, oh we see the head and look at all that hair! I was shocked to hear that our baby had hair. I think within 2 minutes Savannah was born and it was all over. The last part was so fast and I was so shocked it was over. Within 10 minutes I wanted to give up and then she was born. They immediately tried to put her on my chest, but her umbilical cord a little short so they had Dave cut that then they were able to put her on my chest. She stayed with me for a bit, then they took her to check her out and get her cleaned up. The nurses and the midwife all commented on how she was a good size baby, but they didn't weigh her for almost an hour after she was born. And to my surprise she was a big girl! 8 lbs 10 oz 21 inches.
A big, healthy girl!
Right before I took this picture of Dave, he said we needed to do this again. As in have another baby! My response, maybe we should talk about that when pregnancy and delivery are not so fresh on my mind. Maybe at least a year from now. Although I am grateful he enjoys being a dad. It makes it easier to be a mom.
Trevor was so excited to meet his baby sister. We could hear him out in the hallway asking the nurses, "excuse me, I'm looking for my baby sister." So cute and so sweet.
When he came into the room Dave was holding her and Trevor couldn't find Savannah. Then I told Trevor to look at Daddy and he realized Dave had her. Trevor could not wait to hold her.
Once I had all three of my kids in the room, my heart was so full of happiness and love. Seriously being a mom is the best. Such hard work, but so great. I love them to pieces and I am so grateful for the person they have helped me become. I know I am suppose to help them, but they help me learn and grow everyday. I am so grateful I am a mom.
Those Cheeks!
Logan kept saying, "that's my baby sister, ah he cute". He called her a "he" for at least a month. Were working on calling her a "she".
Our one and only friend visitor at the hospital, Katy.
Such a squishy face!
First bath...she screamed through most of it.
Once I had all three of my kids in the room, my heart was so full of happiness and love. Seriously being a mom is the best. Such hard work, but so great. I love them to pieces and I am so grateful for the person they have helped me become. I know I am suppose to help them, but they help me learn and grow everyday. I am so grateful I am a mom.
No comments:
Post a Comment