Monday, June 22, 2015

Breakdown and the beach

Today was an interesting day. Most of it did not go according to plan. Originally I was planning on running errands, grocery shopping, and maybe taking the kids to the park in the afternoon. Then this morning I got an email from one of the ladies, Kelly, in the ward. She said her and another family were planning to go to the beach today and would love it if anyone else could join them. I really debated back and forth on if I should go or just attend to the things that needed to be done at home. I checked the weather and it was going to be a perfect day for the beach. But again, still debating because we literally had no food for dinner or for the rest of the week. Then I looked at the boys and just decided that needed to go to the beach and I was going to make it happen. We took Dave to work, then stopped at the grocery store to get the essentials to make to tomorrow and few sand toys for the beach then went home to pack things up. It took about an hour to get things ready to go for all three kids and finally we were in the car on the way. I was also debating on if I should wear normal clothes or just put my swimsuit on for the drive so I wouldn't have to worry about changing. I decided it would be a hassle to try to change at the beach with all the kids, so wearing a swimsuit it was. We stopped at sonic for a coke and a few waters for our hour long drive to the beach. We were finally on our way!
We had been driving for about 20 minutes when the van just lost power, I was pushing the gas pedal but I was slowing down. So I flipped on my hazards and pulled over. Once I was stopped the van just shut off and every light on my dashboard was on. I had no idea what was wrong. My first thought was the transmission because we have already had some issues with that. But I went ahead and called our emergency roadside service, and they had a tow truck on its way. I quickly realized the tow truck would not be able to transport me and three kids in car seats so I needed a ride home. I had phone numbers for two ladies that I knew might have room to pick up all of us. I first called Kelly who had invited us to the beach. Her daughter answered and I just said we had broken down so wouldn't make it to the beach. Then I called another lady named Monica and she didn't answer. So I sent a text to Dave letting him know what had happened. Just then a state patrol service man knocked on my window asking if we were okay. I said yes and I had a tow truck on its way, I was just trying to figure out how to get home with my three kids. I talked to him for a bit, but then multiple people were trying to call me so I said I needed to make some phone calls. He said he would wait in his truck until the tow truck got there. Kelly was the first to call me back and she said she would turn around and pick us up. I really didn't want to ruin her trip to the beach, but she insisted she come back and get us and that we would still go to the beach. I kept asking if she really had room for me and the three kids and she said absolutely. About 20 minutes later she was there in her 12-passenger van and her six kids to pick us up. Seriously!!! She turned all the way around to come back for us! As we were loading things up, the tow truck arrived which was great timing. So away we went to the beach and away went the van.
The beach was really a lot of fun. It was definitely crazy and busy. I did get sunscreen on the boys and kept Savannah shaded most of the time. I didn't have time to eat, pee, or put sunscreen on myself, but at least the kids were happy. The boys had a great time digging in the sand and running in the water. The worst part, I don't have a single picture to document them at the beach but they were sure loving it. Trevor rolled around in the sand for a while, he had sand literally everywhere! Logan just kept throwing sand, I couldn't convince him that it was a bad idea. Savannah did so great. I just put her in the baby bjorn and she was content the whole time. She fell asleep for at least an hour. She is really a good sport about being dragged out and about.
Then it was time go home and figure out what to do about the van. I called the place it was towed to and they told me they couldn't find anything wrong with the van. There was no check engine light on, no codes to find, and they couldn't get it to stall out for them, even after running it for two hours and two test drives. So I said okay, and had Kelly take me there to pick it up. We then went to pick up Dave from work and the van seemed to be doing great. Then we got on the freeway and the same thing happened again! No power when I pushed the gas, pulled over, stopped, and all the lights came on the dash, and the car shut off. So there we were middle of the freeway again and started the process all over again. We got the tow truck on its way then I started calling someone to come get us. I got a hold of Monica Rich, and she said she would be on her way soon. She got there about 30 minutes later and we loaded the kids in her van and I went with her. Dave stayed behind with the van to wait for the tow truck. Monica has been super kind to our family. She has a huge yard with lots of chickens and has had us over a couple times to let the boys run around and play. When I got in the car, she asked if I was okay and what had happened. She then said, well I'm going to just drive home and you can take my van home with you. She said I have two other cars so I don't need this one. Just keep it as long as you need until you figure out what is going on with your car. Seriously!!! She is way too nice!
I have been so overwhelmed by the kindness of Mormons I have met. They are incredibly giving and accepting of all. I am so grateful for the gospel and for the immediate connection when moving somewhere new. The gospel is perfect and organized perfectly. I cannot even begin to count or name all the blessings we have encountered on this journey of graduate school. We have truly been blessed and watched over. Today was a pretty rough day in terms of logistics of our life. But I know the Lord's hand is in my life and I just felt like I needed to write this down before I forget how much he has blessed me through the hands of others who are willing to act for Him. So many things I have learned from little experiences like these. My heart is full and I am incredibly grateful for each of my blessings.

No comments: