Monday, June 28, 2010

Trevor Brent Brough

So I have been slacking a bit on updating our blog about our new baby boy! He was born on May 25, 2010 at 6:55 pm. He weighed 7 lbs and 10 oz. and 21 inches long.

Here's the birth story, and don't feel like you have to read this part.
The last three weeks of my pregnancy was quite a roller coaster because my doctor gave me false hope that I would be delivering early. The first time she checked me I was dialated to 2 cm and 80% effaced, which I think I was 36 weeks. The next week I was dialated to 3 cm and 90% effaced and my doctor told me she was going out of town the next week, but if I hadn't the baby by the 25th she saved me a spot to be induced. As she left the room, she said, but I don't think you'll be pregnant when I get back. Well my due date was May 23rd and that came and went. Then I went to my doctor's appointment on the 25th and I was still at 3 cm and 90% effaced. My doctor advised me that if I wanted to do a natural birth that I shouldn't be induced, but it was up to me. Dave and I decided to have me induced because I hadn't progressed in the last 3 weeks and I would have to be induced next week anyway if I didn't go into labor myself.
So my doctor sent us over to labor and delivery to get set up to be induced. The nurses started me on pitocin at about 11 am, then my doctor came in around noon to break my water. After that Dave and I watched What Happens in Vegas, then I colored in a coloring book. My mom showed up around 2, so we started playing phase 10. Around 3:30 I was starting to get a little uncomfortable. I could feel the contractions, but they weren't really that bad, but I decided to lay down and try to rest for a bit. I was fine until about 4:30, then the contractions were really rough. I dialated from a 4+ to 8 cm in about 35 minutes and I thought at that point that an epidural just might be an option. I asked to have the nurse come and check me and I had decided that if I was at 8 cm I am close enough and I wouldn't need the epidural. Sure enough she checked me and I was at 8 cm. Then the nurse had my sister push my knees up to my chest during contractions and that helped relieve a lot of the pain. It helped me to breath and relax a little bit. At about 6:00 I could start pushing, but then the nurse told me wait a minute while they got my doctor and not to push while she was gone. I couldn't believe how strong the urge was to push! It was like having the worst diarrhea in the world and someone telling you to hold it in! Wow that was hard trying not to push and wait for my doctor. But then my doctor came and I could push through the contractions and this was the best part because you know that your baby is close and relieve is coming! Once I started pushing they had to put me on oxygen because my heart rate and the baby's heart was dropping. I pushed for about 45 minutes, then my doctor suggested she give me an episiotomy because the baby needed to come out because his heart rate kept dropping and I yelled NO!! I can do this please don't cut me. So she said okay and the next 2 pushes our baby was out and on my chest. I saw that it was a boy before anyone said anything, but then I heard my mom say "It's a BOY!" in a very surprised voice. I couldn't believe he was here, but it was such an amazing feeling to see my baby for the first time. The nurses had to take him away pretty fast though because the cord had been around his neck and he was a little pale and wasn't breathing 100% on his own.
I also had to stay in labor and delivery a little longer than normal because I was hemorrhaging a little bit. After about an hour and a half they took me over to my room and shortly after Dave and the baby came to our room. By then our families had made it to the hospital to see the baby and they all passed him around to look at him. By about 11 pm everyone had gone home and we were left alone. Dave decided to go home and take a shower and get a change of clothes. So I just sat with our baby for about an hour. It was the first time that I had him all to myself and I could just sit and look at him.
Overall, my pregnancy was really good, and the delivery went really well. I made it without an epidural and I felt so good after. My recovery has been pretty good and Trevor is such a good baby. He is sleeping about 7 hours at night and I couldn't ask for more than that. Dave has been such a good Dad and I know he loves Trevor. We are all doing really well and love the new addition to our family! Here are lots of pictures of Trevor over the last month.

In the Delivery Room


First Sponge Bath

One Week Old



Sleeping with Dad






One Month Old



6 comments:

Shannon said...

I'd say you've been slacking!!! He's adorable! Can't wait to see him.

Hans and Chelsey said...

Good job on blogging Kendree and only a little over a month. I must say that I am very impressed. Really! I am, impressed. He is a little cutie. I went past your house today. I wish that I could have thought and planned a little more ahead. I would have loved to stop in. We'll get together soon.
Chels... oh and Hans too : )
(he is sitting right here next to me) hehehe

kelli said...

Oh man. He's just the cutest little guy ever, and you two make adorable parents! I just love it.
I'm so impressed you made it all the way through Au natural! I seriously laughed out loud when you yelled NO!! I can do this please please don't cut me. ha ha ha. Love you.
Congrats on your adorable baby boy!!

Kelly and Megan said...

What a handsome little guy! I was so fun to get together with you and meet Trevor! Hopefully we can do it again soon!

allison said...

Congratulations you guys!! We are so sad we didn't get to come by and say hello. We have a package we'll be sending your way soon though. He is SOOO cute! He didn't even look like an alien when he came out at all, he's just so adorable!

And way to go on the no epidural. I know it's different for everyone but I was going to do it natural and then when I was induced I ended up getting an epidural after about 8 hours. You're one tough cookie!

allison said...

Hey Kendree! I feel so bad about this but I still have a blanket that my Mom made for your little man. Steven texted Dave a couple of time to get your address but he's pretty sure it's the wrong number. Anyways...whenever you get a chance could you email me your address? We'd like to send you something from us as well. My email address is: seil.allison@gmail.com

Hope you guys are still doing great!