March started out less than ideal. On March 1st I went to the gym as usual and was actually really excited about the workout. It was a 7 minute AMRAP (as many rounds/reps as possible in 7 minutes) of 100 KB swings, 50 Box Jumps, then with remaining time max effort on the rower for calories. I thought this workout would be a successful one for me. I did my 100 KB swings unbroken, then moved on to my box jumps. I decided to do rebound box jumps because I thought it would be faster. On my 41st box jump I jumped down and heard a loud pop and felt something hit the back of my leg. I thought someone had hit me with their kettle bell or something, but I turned around and found nothing and no one behind me. So I stood there a minute slightly confused then I tried to walk and discovered my foot didn't really work. A million thoughts came rushing to my mind and I realized what had happened. I had heard the description before and knew that I had torn my Achilles Tendon. I soon found myself lying on the ground with people around me wondering what had happened. The trainer, Pat, wrapped up my ankle after looking at it. Then some friends called Dave to let him know what had happened. Pat then carried me out to my car and drove me home to get my stuff to head to the emergency room. We dropped the car off at home, and a friend, Andrea, had followed us to my house. I said hello to Dave and the kids, then left with Pat and Andrea to the emergency room. Dave got the kids off to school and then met us at the hospital. It was confirmed that I had at the very least a partial tear in the achilles tendon, They put me in a splint and sent me home until I could see an orthopedic surgeon. I went home and made an appointment for two days later. At that appointment, they did what is called a Thompson Test. They squeeze your calf muscle to see if your foot will move. I failed the test because my achillies tendon was torn and not functioning. So that meant surgery. We scheduled surgery for Wednesday March 8th. That weekend was hard knowing what was coming. Luckily, my dad had driven out to help out for a couple days, then Dave's dad came out when my dad had to leave. Dave's mom joined him a couple days later. So Dave's parents were able to help when I had surgery. We were so grateful for the help because I really couldn't do much of anything to take care of my family. It was my right foot so I couldn't drive until I was back in shoes, which would take 8 weeks after surgery. I was on crutches for 3 weeks, then in a walking boot for 5 weeks. Then 2 more weeks with a lift in my shoe. After Dave's parents left, my parents came for just over a week. Then after they left, Dave's sister Lindsay came for just over a week. It was pretty incredible to have so many available to come help us. It was super hard to accept the help, but we needed it and could not have made without the extra hands. Once all our family left, I still couldn't drive so people from the ward stepped up and took my kids to school everyday. It was super hard to turn my kids over and let other people help them, but such an incredible blessing to see how many were willing and able to help. This experience definitely helped me to be willing to rely on others.
On a happier note, we celebrated our sweet Savannah's 2nd birthday! She loves birthdays and she has loved telling everyone she is two. She got a new baby doll and a stroller for her birthday. She loves taking care of her babies. That day we had some friends over for cupcakes and a play date. Luckily I had a great friend, Emily who came over early to help me clean up and make cupcakes. She also took me shopping the night before for groceries and last minute birthday things.
Savannah has been very excited for her birthday and learned how to say "2" very quickly and get two fingers up on her hand. WE bought a cake mix and frosting at the store and I told her it was for her birthday. For the last couple days, she has been carrying around the cake mix and frosting asking about her birthday. She has been so excited for cupcakes. I think she ate at least a dozen on her birthday!
Savannah is really in love with her Paw Patrol jammies. She insists on wearing them every night. She really loves taking care of her baby doll. Also loves her "B" aka blanket. She likes to talk and listen to what's going on. Its not uncommon for her to sit and play quietly while Dave and I are talking. She loves when Dave is home and never wants to leave his side. Savannah has been our best sleeper and eater. She still sleeps 11-12 hours at night and takes a 2-3 hour nap. I am so grateful for her and what she adds to our family.
Savannah post nap on her birthday
Trevor entered the science fair this year. His project was called "How Fast can a Magnet Fall?"
Dave helped Trevor with the project. They got a copper pipe and a few different size and strength of magnets to see the difference in how fast they fell through the copper pipe. Trevor took 3rd place in the 1st grade. We were all excited!
Singing Happy Birthday to Savannah
Right after surgery. I got the shimmy shakes pretty bad afterwards. Dave would say "Dance!" and I would just shake my shoulders all over the place. I think I was just cold, but it was pretty funny. I knew I was doing it but had zero control to stop it. Sadly, we didn't get a video of it.
Lots of snuggle time with this little mister. That was about all I could do with my kids is snuggle and read books. They would sometimes bring toys and come sit with me while they played.
Playing at the park with Grandpa Canham. He would lift her up and then she would go down the slide over and over again. She probably did that at least 50 times and after each time yell, "again, again!"
My kids turn to zombies when the TV is on. Look at those faces!
We had Aunt Lindsay and Emery come to help and play. Emery and Savannah had a good time playing.
Ready for church!
Emery really enjoyed our spaghetti dinner.

No comments:
Post a Comment